Let's Learn About Machine Wash Deluxe
Once you've mastered all the controls in Machine Wash Deluxe and you're ready to take your designs to the next level, below are some advanced techniques you can apply as you work:
Blended Wash Textures
Create a Wash effect with reduced edge distance and softness, then duplicate these settings in Wash Two, replace the Wash Texture then click Outside in the Coverage control dialog. This technique will create a unique wash style that fades between two textures!
Create New Texture Effects
Apply a texture in the Wash or Surface tabbed section, create a second Wash or Surface in the same section and rotate the texture 90 degrees. Increase the scale of both equally and adjust the Orientation settings to create a unique new composite texture.
Customize Wash Textures
In the Wash tabbed section of the Plug-in, check the Generate Wash Effects in Mask Layer* option using the Erosion Wash Type, click OK, then edit the Mask Layer directly to modify or alter the look of the Wash effect!
* NOTE - This option is only displayed in Adobe Photoshop and other imaging applications that support layering.
Apply the same texture to both the Wash and Surface tabs then click Depth Perspective in Surface to for an authentic look.
Create a Projected Look
Select a texture for your Wash and choose Stain as the Wash Type, using black or a dark tone of your choice. Next, Add Wash Two, selecting the same texture, but choose the Bleach Wash Type, then check the Invert option and set the color to a light tone of your choice with a Wash Intensity of 50% or lower depending on your liking.
Apply the same texture and settings to Wash One and Two via the Stain, Bleach or Colorize Wash Type for a brighter, bolder look!
After you've run Machine Wash Deluxe on your image, load your newly modified image into Machine Wash Deluxe and tweak it even further by applying even more great effects!
Machine Wash Deluxe is fully scriptable and allows you to create an unlimited about of automated settings for your work. Follow our guide below to create your own ActionScripts for Photoshop.
How to Write an Action with Machine Wash Deluxe
- Open an image.
- In Photoshop's Actions palette, press the button "Create New Action"
- In pop-up window, simply type the name of the new action and press the "Record" button.
- Select the menu item Filter > Mister Retro > Machine Wash Deluxe to launch Machine Wash Deluxe.
- Adjust the filter as desired.
- Press OK to apply the filter.
- In Photoshop's Actions palette, press the button "Stop Playing/Recording"
How to Play the Action
- Open an image.
- In Photoshop's Actions palette, select the desired action you just recorded.
- In this window press the "Play Selection" button and action will be applied to your image.
How to Install/Export a New Action
- In Photoshop's Actions palette menu, select the item "Load Actions" and a file chooser dialog will appear.
- Simply select the .atn file what you want to import in Photoshop and click OK.
- The new action will appear in Photoshop's Action palette ready to play.
- Similarly, you can export any action as an .atn file by selecting the menu item "Save Action"